Bingham's Pond

Biodiversity Sites in the West of Scotland

City of Glasgow

The Glasgow species list forms part of the City's Biodiversity Action Plan and lists all the species for which there is evidence for their occurrence within the city boundary. Some species groups - for example birds, butterflies, moths, flowering plants and some lower plants - are reasonably well covered, though in some cases confirmation that they are still present would be desirable; information on other groups can be somewhat patchy.

The list is being constantly updated; further details on any species or species group can be obtained by contacting Biological Records; if you have any records to contribute, whether just a single sighting or a whole list, we’d like to hear from you.

Glasgow Necropolis

The Necropolis is the second-largest greenspace in the centre of Glasgow, and its wooded areas, sandy slopes, and ivy-covered quarry-face, as well as some unmown flowery corners provide great diversity of habitats for wildlife. It is listed on Historic Scotland's Index of Gardens and Designed Landscapes

See Biodiversity of The Necropolis for a full account, and species list. See also Friends of Glasgow Necropolis for more on the history and conservation of The Necropolis.

More information on notable species which have been found in The Necropolis:

Glasgow Botanic Gardens (WAG)

The present gardens were designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and opened on part of the Kelvinside estate in 1839, replacing the earlier gardens at Sandyford. The Gardens and Arboretum are mainly on the south of the Kelvin, but the species list also includes records from the Kelvin Walkway as far downstream as the bridge at Belmont Street, and from the wooded slopes to the north. Several ‘hot-house alien’ invertebrates are included, but many of the planted trees are not.

See also Glasgow City Council’s website for more details of the history and points of interest including a Heritage Trail (PDF).

Bingham’s Pond (WAG)

A former boating and skating pond beside Gartnavel Hospitals. It was naturalised in 2003 by planting round the edges and creating an island (pictured above). Species list

Hyndland Old Station Park

The Park is part of a former railway station and goods yard, the terminus of a short branch line from the main line which passes through the current Hyndland station. A survey forming part of the Changing Flora of Glasgow project in the mid-1980s found the nationally rare hawkweed Hieracium virgultorum in the station / sidings area. Part of that area was subsequently built on, and we don’t know whether the hawkweed was - and is perhaps still - present in the current Park area.

The lower part of the site has until very recently consisted mainly of an asphalted informal football pitch, but the trees and herbs on the mainly grassy slopes, and along the access-path from the west, supported a variety of invertebrates and birds. And since 2012 the Friends of Old Station Park, in conjunction with Glasgow City Council, have embarked upon a major redevelopment of the park with the aim of enhancing many aspects of its amenity value. As these plans include planting many more trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants, as well as creating a small wetland area, this is expected to have a significant positive impact on the biodiversity − by attracting a greater number and variety of pollinating insects, and birds, for example.

The Species list covers this period of change - some of the plants and invertebrates recorded prior to 2012 are, or may be, no longer present, but new species have undoubtedly moved in during the last year or so. Some of the flowering plants listed are known to have been planted deliberately.

Kelvingrove Park (WAG)

The first purpose-designed public park in Scotland, laid out along both sides of the River Kelvin between 1852 and 1867 from parts of the Kelvingrove and Woodlands estates, with further additions up to 1904. The woodlands on the north bank of the Kelvin opposite Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum are listed in the Inventory of Ancient Woodlands; this maturity is reflected to some extent in the species list, though there is scope for finding many more invertebrate species there and in other areas of the park. The recently−established wildflower areas have also been very successful in atracting pollinating insects, and Bioblitzes in May 2014 and July 2015 succeeded in adding over 180 and 68 species respectively - including a good number of invertebrates, flowering plants, lower plants, and birds.

See also Glasgow City Council’s website for more details of the history and points of interest including a Heritage Trail (PDF).

Dawsholm Park (WAG)

A former estate on the River Kelvin, much of the park is mixed woodland (Belvidere plantation) and is a Local Nature Reserve. The pond was a reservoir for a paper-works which occupied part of the site for many years, and the slopes at its western end have been planted as a wildflower meadow which attracts a great variety of insects. The species list reflects this diversity of habitats

See Glasgow CC for further information about the park and its biodiversity.

Hamiltonhill Claypits LNR

A post-industrial site on the slopes east of the Glasgow Branch of the Forth and Clyde Canal, opposite Firhill Park. The main part was designated a Local Nature Reserve in 2015, thanks to the enthusiasm of Friends of Possilpark Greenspace. Habitats include species-rich grassland, broom-clad scree, regenerating woodland, and marshy wetland with some areas of open water.

The species list does not, as yet, include data from a 2013 report commissioned by the Friends, which envisages the Claypits as forming part of “a truly stunning, inner-city conservation and recreation project for the benefit of local communities and the wider city”.

Access to the site is from Ellesmere Street, beside the allotments, or via a lane adjacent to the Scottish Canals Offices in Applecross Street.

Pollok Country Park (WAG)

The largest Local Nature Reserve in Glasgow, including several areas which are listed in the Inventory of Ancient Woodlands. The CP forms part of the ancient Pollok Estate, and the more formal areas around Pollok House are listed in the Index of Gardens and Designed Landscapes and contain several notable planted trees. The White Cart Water flows through the park, and is notable for water-fowl and otters.

Pollok CP species list

See Glasgow CC for further information about the Country Park and its biodiversity.

Dams to Darnley Country Park (WAG)

This site straddles the Glasgow / East Renfrewshire border and is a Site of Interest for Nature Conservation (SINC); also included is Waulkmill Glen Geological SSSI (designated on account of its Lower Carboniferous stratigraphy). The reservoirs at the southerly (East Renfrewshire) end are important for migratory and over-wintering wetland birds.

The northerly part (formerly known as Darnley Mill Park) includes the site of Darnley House beside the Brock Burn. The area has a chequered industrial history, including quarrying and mining; the former mill pond still exists, and parts of the old waulkmill buildings are incorporated into a restaurant building beside Nitshill Road. A number of new ponds have been created in recent years, most recently by Froglife as part of their Living Waters project. The more mature woodlands surrounding the Glen are rich in insect life and fungi.

The diversity of habitats within the park is reflected in the species list.

Find out more about all aspects of Dams To Darnley at the website.

Garscadden Wood LNR (WAG)

The LNR consists of two parts, separated by Peel Glen Road: to the east is the one of the oldest woodlands in Glasgow, and which is a Site of Interest for Nature Conservation (SINC); to the west is a newer plantation woodland.

The northern edge of the woods are the boundary of GLasgow with East Dunbartonshire, and the Antonine Wall impinges on the NW corner. Close by, to the SW, is Cleddans Burn SINC

Locally known for bluebells in the spring; the old wood was also the site of first sighting in Glasgow of Purple Hairstreak butterfly (Favonius quercus), and eight nationally-notable beetles have been recorded there.

Garscadden Wood species list

Glasgow Green

Glasgow’s original green space dating from before 1450, when it was gifted to the people of Glasgow by Bishop Turnbull, and extended in 1792; it remains the largest green space in the centre of the City.

Much of the area has been ‘amenity grassland’ and formal flower-beds, though in recent years wildflower areas have been established, thereby enhancing the diversity of pollinating and other insects.

The species list includes records such as waterfowl seen on or by the River Clyde, and though it does include insects in the new wildflower areas, it doesn't necessarily include all of the plant species in those areas.

The Hidden Gardens

An attractive greenspace situated behind the Tramway arts venue, comprising formal and informal herbaceous and wooded areas. Some of the insect life doubtless originates from the edges of the neighbouring railway lines, though insect diversity is encouraged within the gardens, particularly in the wildflower garden and by the provision of ‘bee hotels’.

See species for a list of species which have been recorded so far (many of the plants originated from a wildflower seed-mix); a good number of species have been added to this list in 2016 through light-trapping, pit-fall trapping, and a 'mini-beast hunt' organised as part of RSPB’s Widlfest 2016. See also the Hidden Gardens for more information about the ethos of the Gardens and forthcoming events and activities.

Dalzell Estate, Motherwell

The area between Motherwell and the River Clyde, including Baron's Haugh RSPB Reserve, Dalzell Park and Adders’ Gill Wood (but not the area of Carbarns pools, nor the urban fringe). Dalzell Park and Adders’ Gill Wood are listed on the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes (which also gives some historical details), and many of the built structures are Listed; all the woodland areas in Dalzell Park, including Adders’ Gill Wood, are classified as 'Ancient'. For further information see Dalzell and Baron’s Haugh

See species for a list of species which have been recorded so far; this list is currently rather lacking botanical species, though it is worth mentioning that the Flowering Rush (Butomus umbellatus) occurs there.

Frankfield Loch

Historically this was apparently a ‘seasonal loch’ which was not always shown on maps - early maps call it ‘Colm Loch’ or ‘Camloch’. 19th century maps show an apparently permanent water body, rather more extensive in size than it is now (the present ‘west fen’ area was open water), but by this time it was being used to supply water to the Monkland Canal. If the water-course linking the loch to Hogganfield Loch is not simply a drainage ditch, but the beginnings of the Molendinar Burn, it appears to have been straightened at some stage in its history.

The Loch, together with the ‘west fen’, are in Glasgow; immediately to the north is Stepps Moss which is in North Lanarkshire.

See species for a list of species which have been recorded so far in/on the Loch and in its immediate surroundings.

North Kelvin Meadow & Children’s Wood

This naturally re-wilded area of former blaes football pitches and tennis courts, between Clouston Street and Kelbourne Street in Kelvinside, has been adopted by the local community in recent years as a community green-space and outdoor education area. Until the late 19th century this area formed part of the grounds of Kelvinside House.

See species for a preliminary species list; there is still plenty of scope to add to that list, particularly as the area matures.

Bellahouston Park

The Park includes the grounds of Bellahouston House and Ibroxhill, together with farmland to the south acquired from the Stirling-Maxwell estate at various times. It includes two notable buildings: the ’Palace of Art‘, now a Sports Centre is the only building remaining from the 1938 Empire Exhibition; and the House for an Art Lover was built in 1996 to designs by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. See Glasgow City Council for links to historical information and a heritage trail.

As well as the wildlife areas - see species list for full details - there is a walled flower garden (which contains a number of plants collected by 19th century botanist Peter Bar),and extensive displays of Rhodendrons on the slopes.

Robroyston Park LNR

A post-industrial site in north-east Glasgow, containing several ponds and other wet areas, together with flower-rich meadows which together support a wide variety of insects and other invertebrates. It is particularly notable for the diversity of butterfly and moth species, including the Common Blue butterfly and Six-spot Burnet moth, along with dragonflies and damselflies in abundance. The main pond is often visited by migrant waterfowl, with Reed Buntings around the edges and Skylarks above the meadows.

A full species list can be seen here.

Gartcosh LNR

The LNR is part of the former Gartcosh steelworks site. Biological surveys have tended to focus on amphibians and aquatic invertebrates, so the species list is currently mainly restricted to those groups.

See Gartcosh great crested newts: the story so far and An unusual assemblage of plants at Gartcosh (TGN 23 Part 6, pp22-23); note: the latter link is a 68Mb download from an external website, but the volume is held by the many libraries including those of GNHS, Glasgow University, and The Mitchell Library.

Cardowan Moss LNR

A full species list can be seen here.

(More information follows)



See the City Council and the Friends of Glasgows LNRs websites for further information


information on further sites will follow in due course......